Tuesday, January 24, 2012

HarrietTubman

The Birth of Freedom
       December 2nd, 1805
A Slave Family 

Looking back, I have much to say. I didn’t have a perfect childhood, but it was one that taught me many things. I learned through the process of my life that what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger, physically and mentally. Valuable lessons came along after my birth year, in 1819 or 1820. We slaves never knew our exact birth dates because our masters never bothered to retain them. My parents, Harriet Greene (or “Old Rit” as they called her) and Benjamin Ross, gave birth to me under the name of Araminta Ross in Dorchester County, Maryland. People used to call me “Minta” or “Minty”, for short. Later on, they called me “Harriet” after my mother. We lived in what we called “the big house”. That was our Master’s house. My parents were strong, but the stinging pain of the beatings and the burden of having to raise 9 children was far too much than they could bear. That was why I was put in the care of my grandmother Modesty, a retired slave, who cared for me throughout my early childhood. I had eight siblings, 4 brothers and 4 sisters: Linah, Mariah Ritty, Soph, Robert, Ben, Rachel, Henry, and Moses. I didn’t understand the severe consequences of being a slave until I was forced to become one, like my parents and older siblings.

                        The Beginning of the End

November 15th, 1826
A drawing of a slave getting scorned by a white owner

I remember on my sixth birthday, around 1825 I was put to work for a white slave master named Edward Brodas and his wife, near Bucktown, Dorchester County, Maryland. The unfairness was constant. The burning of the hot sun scorched our skin, while we were singing and praying for a better day. We were forced to sing songs while we worked, because if we stopped, our Master would yell “Make a noise! Make a noise!” and his whip would hiss like a snake as it cracked. We received food once a month, and new clothes only once a year. Sunday, the Lord’s Day, was the only day that we were free from the wrath of the whipping. When I was around seven, a lady named Ms. Cook stopped by the big house in a wagon. She wanted to hire one of our Master’s slaves. Since she didn’t have a lot of money, she could only afford one of the little girls, at around 100 dollars. The next thing I knew, I was in the wagon, making the trip to another degree of hell, in other words the next chapter in my miserable life. Her house was smaller than “the big house”. The lady was a weaver and put me to work helping her. This was not one of my strong points. Using the spinning wheel was hard. The house was full of lint and fuzz, and I was constantly sneezing and dropping the yarn. After leaving Master Brodas’ house the beatings were even worse, but the pain of being withdrawn from my family was even harder to take. As the couple realized that I was never going to improve at weaving, they put to me to work checking the muskrat traps. I got very sick, and my mother requested that I come home, and since Master Brodas was very fond of my mother, he granted her request. As soon I was well again, Master Brodas sent me back to Ms. Cook, but after a while Ms. Cook thought I was so stubborn and stupid that she sent me back once again. Still seven years old, in 1826 I was taken to Ms. Susan’s house, whose baby would never stop crying. Of course, it was always a slave’s job to take care of it. But lucky for me, her sister Emily was kind enough to help me. Once, after stealing some sugar, I ran away from Ms. Susan’s house. From then on, I knew my time as a slave was limited. I wasn’t put on this Earth to take orders. This was the beginning of the end of my life of slavery. It suddenly dawned on me that life was much too valuable to keep wasting in bondage. 

A Sign From God
April 24th 1831
A book about Harriet Tubman
When I was eleven, in 1831 I was no longer considered a child, and my designated name was Harriet by my parents. I wore a yellow bandana to symbolize my maturity. Some very interesting things happened that year, while I was working on the plantation. I heard a story about a slave named Tice Davis, who escaped. His master explained this by saying that he must have gone on something called “The Underground Railroad.” I often hoped that freedom would knock on my door, but the idea of being free seemed unreal. One day, during the harvest, Master invited other slave owners to participate, who brought their slaves. After a while a slave named Nat Turner started running, when his Master saw him, he ran towards him with a threatening look. The slave ran into a store, and I ran in after him. The Master took a doorstop and threw it at him, but missed. It hit my head, and knocked me unconscious. Nat Turner did not escape. I had a big gash in my head and everybody thought I wasn’t gonna make it.  Everybody who saw me thought I was worthless. The injury caused me to have severe blackouts and epilepsies. I could be talking and just pass out unconscious. When I woke up after a while, I would start talking again just where I left off. At the time, I always thought that my blackouts were a message from God. Master Brodas got very sick, and shortly died, in 1849. I thought about running away but those sudden blackouts made me realize that I couldn’t. If I were found asleep I would just be brought back. Besides, the dent in my head made me easily recognizable.

June 6th, 1844 

The Stories of my Father and Husband

John Tubman
After Master Brodas died, there was great confusion among the slaves. Would we be freed? We prayed, but unfortunately, an overseer assured us that we wouldn’t be. Master had originally left his plantation to his heir, but being too young, his heir was replaced by his guardian, a certain Dr. Anthony Thompson. I was worried, thinking about how he would treat me once he learned that I had defied an overseer. I also wondered if my behavior would influence other slaves. Already, they’d begun to treat me differently. Even my mother stopped calling me “Minty” and called me “Harriet”. When I was sick, Dr. Thompson tried to sell me, but in vain: nobody would buy me. When I was well and able to work again, my father and I were hired by a builder named John Stewart. My first jobs there included doing what I hated the most: housework. A few months later, I asked Mr. Stewart if I, too, could work with the men in the woods. He agreed, and Mr. Stewart was very pleased with my work. The best part was being able to work with my father every day, instead of staying in a stuffy house and cleaning by myself. Under the surveillance of the white masters, we collected wood and lumber for the house. I cherished every moment with my father, who taught me many things, such as how to move through the woods without making a sound. In 1844, when I was about 25 years old, I got married to a free black man, John Tubman. Such marriages weren’t uncommon on the Eastern shore of Maryland, because half of the black population was already free. I was not part of that group. Worse, because the status of the mother dictated that of the children, should I have offspring, they would be slaves, too. John never truly understood how badly I wanted to be free. Whenever I brought up the subject of moving up North, he would say things like: “When it’s dark, how will you know which way is North?” and “When you get there, what will you eat?” He threatened to tell my Master if I ever tried to escape. At first, I didn't believe him, but when I saw his face, I soon realized that he was telling the truth. Shortly after my marriage to John, I hired a lawyer to investigate my legal history, to whom i paid 5 dollars. I discovered that my mother had been freed on a technicality upon the death of her former owner. However, my lawyer advised me that the court probably would not listen to my case. I then decided to forget the case. But knowing that I should have been born free -- not a slave – led me to contemplate freedom and resent my current situation. It seemed to me as though I would never get free. I thought I would remain my entire life as a slave. But little did I know that soon, I would get the opportunity of a lifetime to escape.




My First Escape
September 23rd, 1849.

Slaves escaping from slavery

It started out as an ordinary day. I was given a paper by a white abolitionist. The paper had two names and gave me directions to find the first house on my path to freedom. At the first house, I was put in a wagon and covered with sacks in order to travel to the house without being discovered. Then, I hitched a ride with an abolitionist couple that was passing by the area. They took me to Philadelphia. There, I got a job. I saved my pay to help free slaves. It was there that I met William Still. He was one of the Underground Railroad’s “station masters.” He told me the details of the Underground Railroad. It wasn’t an actual railroad; it was an undercover path that served to bring slaves up north and free them, for the north did not believe in slavery. I could hardly believe that a mere border was the difference between freedom and slavery for African-Americans. Why, hundreds of slaves could be freed with the Underground Railroad! And I was one of them. I was free! I was finally free! I could do whatever I pleased! Then, I remembered my family. I wanted them to experience this wonderful freedom, too! That was when I knew that I had to go back and free them. I would risk my life doing so if I had to. With the help of the Underground Railroad, I felt almost certain that I could lead my loved ones—and maybe even other slaves—to freedom.

THE ROAD TO FREEDOM PART 1
August 19th, 1856



A Map of the underground railroad

In 1849, after my first escape I was finally in the north and free from slavery. However my freedom wasn't enough, I had to help the others. William told me all about the Underground Railroad. In 1850 I went back to the South to free my sister and her family, and made several trips back to help my brother James, who was already planning an escape. We crossed a river to the home of Thomas Garret, who was one of the most appreciated Underground “Stationmasters.” Later in the year; I was officially made an Underground Railroad conductor. I knew all of the routes to free territory, and I had to take an oath of silence to prove my loyalty to the UGRR. Around this time, the 1850 Fugitive Slave Act was passed. The law stated that it was illegal to assist a runaway slave, and demanded that if a runaway slave was spotted, that he or she should be turned in to the authorities. Safety did not exist. Canada was our only escape. After I settled in, in Canada I decided to go back, and get John. Once I arrived on the farm down south, to my great surprise John had already remarried, and did not want to leave, so I went back up north. Throughout the year, I saved many more slaves and brought them to freedom.

THE ROAD TO FREEDOM PART 2
December 10th, 1860

A wanted sign for runaway slaves

Between 1852 and 1857 I made 11 trips and saved 300 slaves. I was wanted all throughout Maryland for my $12000 reward. No matter how hard the rangers tried, they couldn’t find me because of my slyness and quickness. In that time people called me Moses. I was a sign of hope. I remember a while ago, a man who was a runaway panicked and wanted to turn back. I knew the man would be probably tortured and tell the white owners about the UGRR if I let him go back. I was much shorter than him, but I knew I couldn’t let him go. Knowing the consequences I pointed a gun to his head and said “Dead folks tell no tales”. After that, he soon changed his mind and went with me to freedom. From that moment on I realized that if you want freedom you have to chase it yourself. In 1860 I made my last trip. In my 10 years of being a conductor I made 19 trips and never lost a single runaway slave. Throughout the entire journey, I received more than I lost. The will to fight back was the greatest gift God has ever given me.

Auburn, New York
December 29th, 1861
A picture of Harriet Tubman's home in Auburn New York

Somewhere in the mid-1850s I met Seward and his wife Frances in Auburn, New York. Mrs. Seward provided a home for my favorite niece, Margaret after I helped her escape from Maryland. In 1857 the Sewards provided me a home, where I relocated my parents from St. Catherine’s, Minnesota. This home was later sold to me for a small sum. It became my base of operations when I was not on the road aiding fugitives from slavery or speaking in support of the cause. During the spring of 1857, was the time that I set off on my most daring rescue: to get my father, Benn Ross. I bought a train ticket and traveled in broad daylight, which was very dangerous because of the dent on my head. When I reached Caroline County, I bought a horse and some parts to make a buggy. I then took my parents to a man named Thomas Garret who arranged our passage to Canada. In 1860 in Troy, New York, I set my mind to free a fugitive who had been captured and was being held at the office of the United States Commissioner. The slave, a man named Charles Nalle, did escape with my help. He later bought his freedom from his master. My career as a “conductor” was ending by December 1860. I made my last trip to Maryland bringing seven people to Canada.  In the ten years I worked as a "conductor" on the Railroad, I felt like a savior. For my safety, my friends took me to Canada. It was the start of something new. 

The Civil War
February 18th, 1870
Runaway slaves


After returning from Canada, in 1861, I took part in the Civil War as a spy for the Union Army. Any woman who wanted to volunteer as a nurse or cook was accepted, regardless of their race. I enlisted in Hilton Head, South Carolina, as a nurse. It was very risky, with South Carolina being part of the Confederacy, but I took the job anyway. I treated all of the sick soldiers with water lily and geranium roots, but thanks to God’s grace I never caught any of their deadly diseases. During the summer of 1863, I worked with Colonel James Montgomery as a scout. I put together a group of spies who informed Montgomery about any slaves who wanted to join the Union. I helped put together the Combahee River Raid. Through this, we harassed many white slaves owners and forced them to free African-American slave. After all of our hard work, we were able to gather five hundred slaves. In 1869, I returned to Auburn, New York. I married Nelson Davis, a former slave who’d worked for a man by the name of George Charles.  I met Nelson in South Carolina during the war. Even though he was ten years my junior, I found that he was a much better husband than John could ever be. We remained married for 19 years, until his death in 1888. I was then left alone, committing myself to God, who’d looked down upon me with such favor over the past few years. I decided that I had right to two things: liberty, or death.

 The End of my Journey





 March 10th, 1913
Harriet Tubman during her final days

At the beginning of the 20th century, I became really involved with the African Methodist Episcopal Zion Church in Auburn. I donated some real estate I owned to this church to make it into a home for "aged and indigent colored people." The home did not open for five years, and I was appalled that they ordered residents to pay a $100 fee. I refused to pay, and I said, “They make a rule that nobody should come in without they have a hundred dollars. Now I wanted to make a rule that nobody should come in unless they didn't have no money at all." I was completely frustrated. I feel that you shouldn’t need to pay for a home where you are respected as who you are, but I was the guest of honor when we opened the Harriet Tubman Home for the Aged, in 1908. As I aged, my mind started to fail me more and more, and at some point in the early 20th century I underwent brain surgery. I trusted the doctor and hoped it would come out alright. I couldn’t sleep because of all that buzzing and pounding in my head. The doctor sawed open my skull and raised it up, and now it feels more comfortable. I had no fancy pain medicine so I had to bite down on a bullet to stop thinking about the pain. In 1911 my body was so frail, that I was admitted into my own elderly home. A New York newspaper described me as “ill and penniless”. In 1913 I got pneumonia, and just before I passed I said to those around me “I go to prepare a place for you”.










1 comment: