Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Alexander Cartwright




December 25, 1828: I remember waking up with the joy of Christmas filling my body. I also remember the sounds of bacon sizzling on the cast iron skillet. The smells were intoxicating, the grease of the bacon, the sweetness of the pancakes. I arose from my slumber and saw snow cover the streets of New York City. I went straight to the living room. Our dinner table was full of food. The bacon, pancakes, eggs and the sausage engulfed the table. This was a very special occasion for me because I had never seen so much food on my table. It was a feast fit for a king. I wolfed down my plate and sprinted toward my tree. The lights glistened in the living room. Presents were everywhere. I used ounce of will in my body to not open presents because my parents were such slow eaters and I needed to wait for them. After the wait that seemed like hours, I finally opened my first present. I was hoping it was a fire truck; I’ve always wanted to become a firefighter, it’s been my dream. I opened the present and found what else, but a fire truck. I hugged my mother and father very tightly and moved on to my next present. It was a journal, this journal to be exact. I hugged my parents once again. I went into my room and played all day. It was one of the best days of my life.      

May 12 1836: Today was my first day of work and I was really looking forward to it. I walked in and was inundated with astonishment. Suddenly, there was a silence. Every man was wearing fine silk suits and ties and held leather briefcases. Their hairs were flattened down like it was covered in mud and their faces had this monotone yet serious expression. They held canes guiled with fine gold. Their shoes were polished to the fullest extent. I wore my shirt, trousers and suspenders. Every man was looking like I was some sort of outcast. I kept walking and the eyes of every man and woman were beating down on me like the hot sun in the summer. I eventually got into the office and met my boss, Mr. O’Donnell. He was a robust man with a cigar in one hand and a glass of whiskey in the other.  “Sit down” he said in his deep and monotone voice. “Welcome to Coit and Cochrane, let me show you around.” He got up, put down his cigar and chugged down his Scotch. I stepped out of his office. It was eerily quiet. All I could hear was he scribbling of pencils and crumpling of paper. After the tour, he placed me at my desk and placed a stack of paper on my desk: “get to work.” He said in an exclamatory voice. I needed to organize them and put them in their respective bins. I spent all day organizing these papers. It was exhausting. I am hoping it get easier. 

October 12th 1838: I remember the day I walked into my boss’s office and I quit.  I couldn't take it anymore. I simply went into Mr. O’Donnell’s office and said I wanted to quit. He simply said in his deep and menacing voice: “ If that’s how you feel go ahead. It was nice meeting you” I shook his hand and walked out. It has been two years since I first stepped foot in that retched place. It was an awful place. Every morning when I walked in I immediately felt the looks of the rich bankers pound against me. My boss, Mr. O’Donnell, had a very deep and almost demonic laugh that frightened me. The bank would be silence, and it would be broken by the laugh of Mr. O’Donnell. His laugh echoed across all across the place. The odor of his Cuban cigars would fill the room with the unpleasant stench of the smoke of his cigar. It was like a gas chamber when I walked into his office. The employees were almost just as bad. They would pick on me because I was the youngest in the entire office. They would yell out every single word that came out of their mouth. They were very rude and would mock me. Now after 2 years of job searching, I’ve found a new job. I am working as a clerk again, but at Union Bank of New York. Today, working at the bank was amazing. Every person looked at me with a welcoming smile.  I walked into the boss’s office. I read his name of his desk. It read “ Mr. O’Brian.” Though his name did sound like my old boss, he was nothing like him. He held a glass of water, had a very clam and controlled voice. He seemed like a nice man and he was. He said in his clam voice “come into my office if you need anything”. The employees were just as nice. They would help me so much. I made friends the very first day. I think I am going to like this place. 
    

Early 1840’s: After being a clerk at Coit & Cochrane and the Union bank of New York, I entered the Knickerbocker Engine Company No. 12. I decided to do so because I wasn’t satisfied with my previous jobs. I have always wanted to be a firefighter, however no opportunity came so I became a clerk. I joined the Company in the early this year. It’s been a couple of weeks ago. I remember the atmosphere of my first day quite well. They introduced me to the “the House”(which is the building). It makes sense because we sleep, eat, train, work and after all live there. When I entered inside the building, at the left there is a door leading to the stable. In the stable there are the horses on one side and the huge water bottles the horses would carry on the carriages. On the left there was the pole that we would use.  Going back to the entrance there is a staircase in the center leading to the dorms and the captain’s office. The dorms were bunks on both sides and our equipment at the ready next to them. In the middle of the room is the pole.  I am really enjoying my job at the fire house.


September 23rd 1845:  After a while in the firehouse I got to know many friends. I met  Duncan Curry, Daniel “Doc” Adams and Henry Tiebout Anthony. We knew each other very well. I introduced them to William Wheaton who was an attorney in New York and liked my idea of creating a baseball club. I asked them if they wanted to join and they agreed, they were going to meet with us in a pub today.   This was probably the most important day of my life. Doc and I were going to meet the others to decide the fate of our jobs.  We meet in the small pub near my building were I used to work.  We crossed the street and saw Duncan walking with Will. We waved at each other and they crossed the street to meet us. I checked my watch and saw that Alfred and Henry were late. I turned and asked Doc where they could be. We decided to wait for them at the pub. After a couple of drinks they arrived. We asked why they were late and replied saying it was a long story. We sat in a round table at the back of the pub near the bar. Doc and Duncan sat next to me. We talked for a couple of minutes about how we would organize ourselves. I said I would start writing the rules in the next couple of weeks. Then I placed down this piece of paper on the table. I explained the salaries we would have and the place where we would practice. To convince the others I said that professional athletes won huge salaries. Suddenly, Henry said that since New York is growing so fast he couldn’t find a place to practice. We all worried, but Will had an idea. He said we could find many places in Hoboken. Alfred and Duncan immediately disagreed. I agreed with them we couldn’t pay 30 cents for a round trip to ride the ferry every day. And we couldn’t leave Manhattan to live in New Jersey!  We would need more money. W couldn’t pay fifteen cents every day! Will defended his point saying that Hoboken was the best place they could stay. Suddenly, our table was silent. The noise of the died down, we couldn’t hear anything or say anything.  Duncan and I looked at each other; we knew that we had no choice. We came to a decision; we would play in Hoboken.  

Picture of the New York Knickerbockers

Lithography of the Elysian Fields in Hoboken


 October 23rd 1845 : Following  the creation of the club with Duncan and the others,  I started writing the rules today. I wouldn’t invent a brand new sport; I took the basic rules from a British sport called Town Ball and added a few things.  I used see people play when I was young from time to time and used that to my advantage. In the beginning I started writing the rules with Duncan. We started with the 1st rule:  « Members must strictly observe the time agreed upon for exercise, and be punctual in their attendance» We both agreed on this one because we didn’t want our matches to be delayed because one player was late. After writing 4 rules, Duncan told me that we should only play on week-ends, I asked why and he told me that during the week everybody is working ; I agreed that was our 5th rule  « No stump match shall be played on a regular day of exercise ». After a while, we noticed we already wrote 14 rules. But we still didn’t know what to write about how many strikes there should be to switch teams. Then, after thinking for a while we came to the 15th rule « Three hands out, all out ». In the end of the afternoon we had finished. Ducan and I both signed on the bottom of the last page and left. I hope I just made history today.

(Cover of the "Rules and Regulations of the Knickerbocker Baseball Club'')

February 9th, 1846: I cannot believe what happened today! I am furious! People are saying that I am not the inventor of the rules of modern baseball and that Abner Doubleday invented baseball altogether! Even though I am the only one who actually published the rules of modern baseball. The Knickerbocker club believes me! There is no evidence that P Doubleday actually did write the rules because he has not published any. This is nothing but a myth that people believe in! I do not know how much time this so called “controversy” will take and when it will stop but I shall not stop fighting until I get renamed as the official father of Baseball and the one who has written the rules of modern baseball.  I do not want to dwell on this; I do not want to talk about it to anybody but the men in the Knickerbocker Club. I am wondering what wife will think. That I am a fake? A fraud? Will she think like the others or will she be on my side of the argument? I cannot keep this going. It is never too late to put a stop to this before the “news” becomes an even worse of a deal. Here is MY evidenvce:


Abner Doubleday

June 19th, 1846: Our first match ever against the New York Nine. This is the first recorded Baseball match. A very big day for Duncan, William and myself. The game was being played by the rules I have established. I could not be more proud than to this day and I was respected a lot by the crowd that day. Duncan, being the president of the team was very tense during the match against the New York Nine. An emblem was created in honor of this match. Unfortunately, we were very badly defeated and it brought our whole team down. Duncan and William were not even speaking that night because they were so sad we had lost the first ever baseball match that we were hosting. The men in the other team were all smarter than our players and they all played cricket; thus this being to their advantage. I am talking to Duncan about this match and it seems that we will not be respected as much because the Knickerbocker Club created their own team. We are all trying to make our way out of this. I umpired this match and made calls for both teams. I was still gladly honored that day.
Plaque of  their first game




                                            The Sun Sunday February 5th 1916
August 15th, 1849:I was very excited that day because the news said that there was a lot of gold in California! I sailed to California and it didn’t please me much, I thought I would become rich! I stayed for barely two months and on, I then sailed for Honolulu, Hawaii. I arrived there today! I saw what was paradise for me. I had just realized that my dream was not getting rich, it was this: a perfect place for retirement. It had fantastic climate, marvelous beaches and perfect environment. I suddenly meet one of my friends from back in New York, Aaron Howe whom just happened to own a ship Candler’s business and needed help with his store. I decided to enter in his employment as a bookkeeper. I know I will never go back to New York or California ever again. I am really enjoying myself and then I just discovered something: I have to tell my wife! I immediately start to write to her and I tell her about what had happened, I apologize to her and then I start to tell her what a great place this is and I can work thus out to have a great retirement with my wife, Eliza and my three children: Dewitt, Mary and Kate.

Poster about the Gold Rush


Poster about the Gold Rush


A man searching for gold in a river





Alexander Joy Cartwright









No comments:

Post a Comment